One of THOSE Days

Feb 15 2011 Published by under Medical Paperwork

I have begun my battle with paperwork necessary to change positions and move to a new state. Oklahoma MD licensing requires nine forms that I downloaded, including a test on medical-legal issues. From prior experience, I know the real fun will happen when I have my license and must get certified with every health plan in the new state.

Red Tape Hoops? Click for source

This week I found out that they will need to see my actual social security card. Like all good girls, I read the instructions on the card and put it in a safe place. Where that place may be is currently unclear, but I am sure the card remains quite safe. So today I filled out an application for a replacement card and brought my passport to the local Social Security office.

I was planning to run by on the way home yesterday, but I discovered the office closes at 4 pm.

So I request my card and show them the passport, the only single document that can confirm US citizenship for employment purposes. They hand me a print-out, and the birthdate is wrong. The clerk goes back through my history and discovers that in 1984, when my name changed with marriage, someone transposed the digits in my day of birth from "12" to "21." My original application in 1976 had "12" on it, as does every other form of identification I possess. I hand back my passport which includes the correct date of birth; however, birth date can only be established by an original birth certificate with raised seal. Never mind that the government put the date on my passport using my birth certificate - I must bring in the actual certificate between 9 am and 4 pm on a non-federal-holiday weekday to correct this information. Or mail in my official copy of my birth certificate and hope I do not need it for another hoop-jump in the coming 2 weeks.

I guess I should be glad that I found this now, when correcting it remains an annoyance, rather than when I needed to collect benefits. Still, I feel like I am jumping through hoops of red tape.

That feeling will only get worse as I start filling out these damn forms...

7 responses so far

  • My wife went through this with trying to find her original birth certificate to get a passport and then having to change everything after the wedding. I bought a lot of nice dinners to make up for the hell she went through. Note she wanted to change her last name in order to take her maiden name as her new middle name, since her old middle name was terrible.

    • whizbang says:

      I had even more fun. Turns out the US gov'ment says your first name is your legal name. So when I wanted to go from Ann Pascale Hammond to Pascale Hammond Lane, I had to use the intended name for 6 months and take out ads in papers and all sorts of BS to make the common usage name change. Marriage certificate alone was sufficient to become Ann Pascale Lane or Ann Hammond Lane.
      In Missouri at least you could drop your middle name without any problem. But your first name, even if never used, was your legal identity!

  • I had a buddy who went to get his last name changed to that of his stepfather who raised him and found out that he could change his middle name also for no extra fee. Now my buddy is Blahblah "Lazer" Blahbah.

  • Kierra says:

    Make sure your name is on your mailbox. The certified mail they use to deliver the new SS card can't be put in a mailbox that doesn't, even if it's the right address. I found that one out when we lived in a basement apartment in a residential house. We got our mail using the same mailbox as our landlord and he hadn't put our name on the box (which up until then, hadn't been a problem).

  • Harriet says:

    In Utah, you need your physical social security card to get a driver's license. Never quite understood why. Fortunately, getting a new one (mine is in the same place as yours) was a snap here.

  • AHAHAAHAA you should try getting a visa.

Leave a Reply