Before and After

Jan 27 2016 Published by under Uncategorized

Life contains a number of events that define turning points. "Before graduation", "after I had kids", and "once I got promoted", for example.

Last week now stands as one of those events. My husband developed a major mental status change. Within 24 hours we diagnosed his brain tumor and had it out the next day. He is much better now mentally, but we have a long road ahead of us.

In those first days, adrenaline kept me going. I had to notify family and get through the immediate issues. (By the way, 140 character twitter updates are the perfect length for anyone in a surgery waiting room. Cute animal photos also make a nice break in the tension.) Post-op, he was sitting up in the ICU talking to us again. Every time I saw him over the next 5 days he was more fluent and seemed more like himself.

Now the relatives have gone and the bouquets are fading. He manages his own medications again. He does not yet feel like he should drive (and he is grounded till his neurosurgery follow-up in 2 weeks), but he wants to use our OKC Thunder tickets this Friday. His progress is not as fast, but we both hope it will continue.

We no longer have any idea what our future holds. For now, we are dealing with stuff as it happens. Be warned - this blog will likely feature some intense introspective naval-gazing in the coming weeks and months.

Welcome to After.

• potnia theron says:

Lots of wishes for the best possible recovery and outcome.

• Ellen Simms says:

So sorry to read on twitter about your experience. I still have a crystalline memory of the Friday afternoon 12 years ago that my husband was told he had cancer in bones throughout his body. His diagnostic process took two weeks; in the first week, we both lost five pounds to the constant flow of adrenaline. We were so lucky when it was discovered that he had a potentially curable form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He is cured of that cancer, but the chemo and radiation it took are carcinogenic and so we still look at each day with wonder that we are both still here to enjoy each other. I equally wish you both long lives in which to continue cherishing each other.

• Namnezia says:

Sending you good wishes. I'm sorry, these kinds of things suck.

• Bill says:

All my warmest wishes for the best possible outcome.

• Marty says:

Pascale, Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you and your husband travel an unknown path. Hopefully all goes well and you can root the Thunders on together.

• Namaste, Ish (@Namaste_Ish) says:

You're the best Whiz and you let me know when I should unleash a horde of kittens into your Twitter stream.

• becca says:

Sending you comfort and strength!