For Better, For Worse

Apr 14 2016 Published by under Random Thoughts

Today I took my husband to Grand Rounds, a Pediatric Educational Lecture (for my non-MD readers). I noticed on the announcement yesterday that a person he knew well from our St. Louis days was giving a named lectureship in honor of the retirement of a colleague here at Oklahoma. I asked if he wanted to go; he said he would.

He arrived bright and early, and quickly impressed people who knew of his illness and issues with his stamina and resilience. He paid enough attention to the lecture to get upset when I scrolled through non-emergent messages on my phone. He chatted with colleagues at the reception afterwards, until I retrieved my bag and took him home.

He slept most of the afternoon (while I went to the dentist for a tooth repair), ate a quick dinner, and then retired again for the night.

During the marriage vows, one typically swears in front of god-and-everybody to stay together through a number of circumstances, including for better or for worse. So far, 2016 has been a butt-load (to use the technical term) of for worse. Today, I finally saw some for better, even if it did wear him out.

I will take what I can get right now.

• Gary Beck Dallaghan says:

Thoughts are with you, Pascale.

• drugmonkey says:

I'm glad you had a good day Pascale. And thanks for reminding us to savor those.

• Isis says:

Glad to hear he had a good day, friend. Thinking of you all...

• Lisa says:

Thank you Pascale for sharing the uplifting story with us.

• Anne Beck says:

Glad you saw some of the good today. Hopefully there is much more of that in your near future. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

• potnia theron says:

As someone once remarked (can't find quote/cite/tweet): you never know when the last good day is going to be until its gone. It's hard to live every day like its the last best day. But! I am glad you had this day.

• Zuska says:

How lightly we say those vows, how grateful we are when life suddenly drops major health issues on our ass that our spouse took the vow seriously & we are not left alone with our illness and fear. I'm glad that the two of you are getting some "better" days, and glad for your husband's sake that he's got such a steadfast partner through all this. That loving support is priceless.