Major Milestone

Jul 14 2016 Published by under etc

On January 19, 2016, I got a call that my spouse was not doing well at work. Within 48 hours his head was cracked open, and we began a roller coaster of cancer and complications.

Today, almost 6 months later, he officially is back in his office for the first time. He is trying to do administrative work only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He has to deal with some changes in the way his brain works (they did remove a major chunk of his left frontal cortex). Until he starts interacting at a higher level, he won't be able to figure out how to compensate for those missing neurons.

There were many days this year that I wondered if his return to work would be feasible, ever, at any level. Today is a great day indeed!

• drugmonkey says:

Fantastic news!

• Bob Dickenson says:

Congratulations ! Years ago I got a similar (generally, anyway) call that my youngest sister had collapsed where she worked (Vanderbilt). ER imaging showed large brain mass. Friends called.

I jumped on a plane to Nashville from NYC, was with her the next morning. On July 4, 200X, there were 40 people in the surgical waiting area for HER and I was the only blood-relative. People had driven hours on July 4th to be there. She was not "famous" or "important" -- but she IMPACTED people. The support was terrific. Surgeon said "we think we got it all".

We are all "fearfully and wonderfully made" - bags of God's biochemicals.

Be well, persevere.

• sopscientist says:

wonderful news!

• Nat says:

This is really great news!

• becca says:

So happy for you and him!
    We're all compensating for a few missing neurons here and there- as long as he's making progress, that's what matters.

• potnia theron says:

This is great. Much hope and good thoughts to both of you on this journey.

• Zuska says:

What wonderful news! I know you are both celebrating this joyful and hard-won milestone.
    Many, many hugs to you!