Often I get a sense of renewal after attending a conference. I see colleagues and learn new things, and I return to my job refreshed and ready to conquer the world.
I cannot always leave town when I need a pick-me-up. We all need things that give us that lift, like No Doz washed down with a 6-pack of RedBull. Following are some of my favorite things:
- Songza: Sure there are a number of streaming music services, but this one has so many options. You can select from tunes for your time of day, activity, and mood. Most options are safe for work as well. Earlier today I used the "Busy Coffee Shop" as background noise while I did some tasks. Now, while I await the arrival of my first afternoon patient, I chose to go with the Hawaiian genre and Tiki Bar selections (I figure I can blog with Tiny Bubbles playing in the background). I also got a Bluetooth portable speaker so I can stream the sound from my iPhone without any plugs or cords.
- Cute stuff: Emergency puppy, need I say more?
- Physical activity: The standing desk helps my back and energy level, but it cannot completely replace a brisk walk around the building.
- Online shopping: Really bad days call for drastic measures. Sometimes a quick browse through new items at a favorite site provides the lift; other times, nothing short of a new pair of shoes will lift me out of my mood. Yes, this can get expensive; reserve it for the very worst times.
- Movies: This is mostly an after-work activity, although occasionally I find the need to shut my door and divert to a video that makes me feel empowered. My all-time winner in this category is Fried Green Tomatoes. I would love other suggestions.
What other activities, internet sites, or items help you through slow times at work? Leave your suggestions in the comments, please!